Warren W. Chen, AIA, LEED AP
Founder; Design Director; Licensed Architect in the District of Columbia, Virginia, Maryland, and New York
As a gifted architect, Mr. Chen has been dedicated to excellence in design and services throughout his near two decades of professional practice. He always takes fresh, holistic and socially responsible approaches to each project, which also respects aggressive budgets and schedules. His designs respond to individual context and enables integration of both the natural and built environment. In collaboration with clients, Mr. Chen focuses on developing creative solutions that meet both aesthetics and functionality, allowing buildings and societies to positively impact the environment, while addressing the specific needs of users. He has been involved in over a hundred of residential, commercial, mixed-use buildings in various sizes as well as some large scale urban design projects mainly in Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland, New York, Florida, Texas, Nebraska.
Besides the projects in the United States, Mr. Chen is also an expert in the Asian market, he has worked on a range of international projects including master plans, residential, commercial, retail, hospitality, and mixed-use projects. His clientele includes some most influential developers, such as Vanke, Longfor, Wanda and etc.
Mr. Chen holds a master’s degree in architecture from Washington University in St. Louis and a bachelor’s degree in architecture from Tianjin University in China.
Sam B. French, RA
Technical Director, Licensed Architect in Maryland
Mr. French brings over 30 years of design and construction experience to UA-HIE Design while working with architectural firms in Iowa, Colorado, including 28 years in the Washington, DC region. Additionally, Mr. French owned and operated a successful design/build remodeling company for 6 years. He was a licensed contractor completing numerous residential and commercial construction projects.
His primary focus during his Architectural career has been on the preparation of contract documents and construction phase services. While supervising numerous junior staff, he provides a major production role. He has performed quality assurance and coordination reviews on numerous medium sized projects. He has developed cost control strategies during all phases, some with design, construct-ability, technical, specifications and design solutions. He has provided construction phase services on numerous projects of all sizes.
Mr. French has a bachelor’s of art degree in Architecture from Iowa State University and is a proud US Army veteran.
Jon Zhang, PE
Director of Engineering Services, Licensed PE in the District of Columbia, Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia
Jon Zhang founded JZ Structural Consulting Inc in 2006, which is an important component of UA-HIE Design Group. With 27 years of engineering and business experience, he leads a talented team of professionals offering structural engineering and design services to architects, builders, government entities and public sector clients throughout the Mid-Atlantic area. Mr. Zhang is licensed as a Professional Engineer in four states. He is progressive in his knowledge of new and innovative products and ideas and maintains hands on approach to projects. He inspires his team to offer consistent and steady service to support the design professionals in their quest to satisfy their client.
Principal’s Featured Projects Prior to Founding UA-HIE Design
Warren Chen’s Project Experience
- Vienna House, Virginia, 4,000 sq. ft. single family house, architecture and interior design.
- Tasly House, Potomac, Maryland, 11,000 sq. ft. single family house with addition, architecture and interior design.
- Georgian Colonial House, Virginia, 5,300 sq. ft. single family house, architecture and interior design.
- Dulles Station Building I, Fairfax, Virginia, 4-story, 210-unit residential complex with above grade parking in a master planned community, Client: Crimson Partners/Simmons Vedder.
- Dulles Station Building G, Fairfax, Virginia; mix-use 169 unit residential building with adjacent parking structure at Dulles Station. Client: Crimson Partners/Simmons Vedder.
- Hamilton Apartments, White Plains, New York; re-design study of a 12-story multi-family housing.
- Adams Landing, Cincinnati, Ohio; master plan and architectural design for a parcel adjacent to Ohio River.
- 15th Street Condominium, Washington, DC
- Tyson’s West Park Condominium, Fairfax, VA
- Riverside Park Apartment Club house, Fairfax, VA
- Gulfstream Park, Hallandale, Florida; Client: Boca Developers; 2-468 unit residential towers with retail and parking in the podium, 193,000sf retail and office space.
- Porter Street Residence Facility, Washington, DC; Client: Chinese Embassy Education Department; including 27 residential units, office space and amenities.
- Armed Forces Retirement Home, Washington, DC; Client: Crescent / GSA;
- Song Village Residence, 350 sq. meter single family house, Beijing, China
- Wei Residence, 480 sq. meter single family house, Beijing, China
- Master Plan of Lao Village, Beijing, China
- Vanke City Garden Apartment Buildings, low-rise townhouse style residential development, Beijing
Workplace and Public
- Century Center at Crystal City, Arlington, Virginia; 130,600 SF retail repositioning on street level and interior renovation for a complex of two high-rise office buildings. Client: Lowe Enterprises.
- Phoenix project, the Pentagon Renovation after ‘911’, Arlington, VA
- St. Regis Hotel, Washington, DC; restoration and renovation of the 1926 Italian Renaissance hotel, listed on the National Register of Historic Places,
- Westport Tower, office building, Baltimore, Maryland; Client: Turner Development; 300,000sf office building with parking decks and retail storefronts in the podium.
- China-Singapore Eco City Commercial Towers, Suzhou, China; Client: CSSD Group; two 5A intelligent office towers, rated 3-star and 2-star per China National Green Building Standards.
- The Industrial Park of HK Electronics, Shenyang, China; Client: HK Group; 75 hectares, master planning and architectural design for the corporate headquarters and industrial campus of a semi-conductor company. a mixed use development encompasses corporate office spaces, R&D labs, manufacturing facilities, and commercial office spaces.
- Wujiang Twin Towers, Wujiang, China; The twin towers are to provide the office spaces for Wujiang government’s two major departments, the Bureau of Construction and the Bureau of the Transportation . Floor area above grade: 92,200 square meters; Floor area below grade: 38,900 sqare meters; Garage parking: 935 cars; Surface parking: 140 cars.
- The Media and News Center, Wujiang, China; The project is to provide a facility that houses the TV stations and the official news agency of the city. The programs include various office spaces and a grand auditorium for the TV stations. Floor area above grade: 66,700 squares meters; Floor area below grade: 15,400 square meters; Surface parking: 33 cars; Garage parking: 362 cars.
- John F. Kennedy Center Terrace Level Renovation, Washington, DC; Client: Kennedy Center.
Retail & Mixed-use
- New Vegas Design Competition, Las Vegas, Nevada; Client: Confidential; 52 acre urban design, including 250,000sf retail, 45,000sf casino, 600,000sf office space, 600,000sf hotel, 6,950,000sf residential.
- Biscayne Landing, North Miami, Florida; Client: Boca Developers; including 1152 unit hi-rise residential, 590 unit mid-rise residential, 183,400sf office space, 179,100sf retail, 29,300sf fitness center, 254 key hotel, 5,628 parking spaces.
- New River at Las Olas, Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Client: Boca Developers; 3 block master plan and architecture design, including 270 key hotel, 253 residential units, 271,000sf office space, ground level retail, gross floor area: 751,000sf, 1,500 parking spaces.
- Houston Intermodal Transit Center, Texas; Client: Houston METRO; Converged by 9 transit modes, the center is composed by office space, retail, performing space and 270 foot in diameter “Great Space”
- Market Square Arena Site, Indianapolis, Indiana; Client: Kosene & Kosene Residential; 2 block mixed use master plan.
- Riverdale Park, Maryland; Client: Cafritz Property; 37 acre urban design
- Central Civic Buildings of Cixi Culture and Business District, Ningbo, China; Client: Cixi City Government; 80,000 sqm, 4 buildings encompassing a performing art center, a museum, a civic center and a sports complex.
- Master Plan of East Bank of Outer JiaRiver, Yantai, China; Client: YantaiCity Government.
- Yunlong Lake Civic Plaza, Xuzhou, China; The project is to design a combined facility for the Civic Center and a shopping mall on a very prominent lot of the City. Once completed, the building will become a landmark along the shore of Yunlong Lake. The total program area is about 140,000 square meters, with 40,000 square meters as below grade retail spaces. The facility provides 1250 parking spaces, mostly planned below grade.
- Chenghui Binhai Cultural and Industrial Park of Wines, Beers and Spirits, Tianjin, China; Client: Chenghui Group; 61-hectare high-density mixed-use development, encompassing commercial, retail, cultural, residential components at a waterfront setting.
- Longfor Taike Retail Complex, Wuxi, China; Client: Longfor Group; 46,000 sqm development with retail podiums and residential towers above.
- Longfor DF Mall, Beijing, China; Client: Longfor Group; 17.37-hectare urban redevelopment, to yield 451,100 sqm of shopping center, office towers, high-rise condos, and cultural facilities.
- Wanda Gold Mountain Shopping Mall and Condominiums, Shanghai, China
Sam French’s Project Experience
- Fine & Performing Arts Center,Bowie, MD. This new 123,500 sf facility includes several performance venues featuring a 400 seat theater and a recital hall. Also housed are several educational studios, classrooms and faculty offices.
- Joint Institute for Laboratory Astrophysics, Boulder, CO. 50,000sf Research building addition with vertical expandability. Denver Chapter AIA Honor Award, 1988
- Navy / Marine Corps Reserve Center, Aurora, CO. New 125,000sf center provides training facilities, shipboard simulator, machine shop, track vehicle repair shop administration and classrooms. Federal Design Achievement Award, 1988; AIA / NAVFAC Award of Merit, 1988.
- Mile High Cablevision, Denver, CO. New public access studios, head end facilities and administrative offices.
- Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, Olney, MD 15,000 SF Nave and classroom addition.
- St. Edward the Confessor Catholic Church, Richmond, VA. Nave, classroom and gym addition.
- Our Lady of Vietnam Catholic Church, Silver Spring, MD. 10,000 sf Nave vertical expansion.
- Our Lady of Good Counsel, Olney, MD. New 1200 student high school.
- West Hyattsville Elementary School, Hyattsville, MD. New elementary new school.
- Mace’s Lane Middle School, Dorchester Co., MD. New middle school
- Saint Elizabeth Mental Health Hospital, Washington, DC. This new replacement mental health hospital is 460,000 sf. 293 civil and forensic residents are provided a mix of shared & therapeutic spaces, support facilities and a new recreation park. Sustainable strategies include extensive use of natural light and a 27,000 sf green roof. The building has an auditorium, greenhouses, classrooms, training facilities, and conference spaces.
- St. Jude Children’s Hospital, Memphis, TN. New research tower featuring multiple research laboratories, scientists’ offices, administrative, temporary clinics and temporary hospital ancillary services.
- University of Iowa Hospital, Iowa City, IA. Vertical expansion creating a new dialysis center and an expansion of the birth department.
Construction Projects / Residential Projects
- Numerous single family and condominium remodelings while president of a Design/Build construction company in Rockville, MD. Projects included additions, alterations, and modifications of various sizes and complexity.
- Design of three semi-custom builder development houses constructed for speculation.
- Atlantic Video projects Audio Sweetening Suite, Paint Box / Graphic Suite and Graphic Editing Suite.
- Transmitter building interior upgrades for WGAY Radio Station